If you’re using both Gmail and BBC Webmail email addresses, you may find checking email in both places inconvenient. Fortunately, you can set up Gmail to retrieve your BBC Webmail email messages (and even send from your mail.bbc.net address) from within Gmail. In this way, you can use both services from just one interface. Gmail can even apply a label automatically to all your BBC email messages so they’re all in one place within Gmail, leaving your Inbox uncluttered.
Enable IMAP and POP3 on BBC Webmail
Before you Gmail can access your mail from BBC Webmail, you need to allow it access. By default, BBC Webmail disables IMAP and POP3 access for security reasons. So, you have to manually enable them first.
1. Open up BBC Webmail and you can click here to login.
2. Select Setting from the menu to the left of the screen.
3. On the Settings page, locate POP3 & IMAP from the left menu and choose it.
4. You’ll arrive on a page with information about POP and IMAP usage. Select Enable access to this account via POP3 and IMAP.
5. Once you do, press Save to make the change permanent.
Login BBC Webmail in Gmail
Now, you can turn your attention to Gmail to link it to your BBC account. To set up POP access to a BBC Mail account in Gmail:
1. Log into your Gmail account.
2. Select the Settings gear in the upper-right corner.
3. Choose See all settings from the menu.
4. On the Gmail Settings page, select the Accounts and Import tab.
5. On the Accounts and Import tab, select Import mail and contacts.
6. A new window will pop open. Enter your BBC Webmail address. When you’re done, press Continue.
7. On the next screen, enter your BBC Mail password under Password, and press Continue again.
8. Gmail will sign in to your BBC account. Then, it’ll present you with a couple of options for what to sync. Select what you want, and press Start Import.
9. Once Gmail has everything set up, it’ll send you a success message, letting you know that it’s going to start importing your messages. Press Ok to finish.
If you have a lot of messages, it may take a long time to bring them all over to BBC Webmail.
You’ll return to the Accounts and Import settings page. Now, you’ll see your BBC Webmailf listed both as an alias you can send mail from and next to Import mail and contacts.