Here’s how to hard reset an iPhone if you want to sell it out or when it’s having issues. This wipes your content and restores the phone to its default settings leaving it without a password. But before you take this decision make sure you have backed up your data to avoid loss of important information. You can back up to iTunes or iCloud. Factory setting fixes your iOS devices to their normal condition and this applies to iPhone and iPad.
You can also hard reset an iPhone if its the operating system is performing below expectation, like when it makes slow movement, even when taking it to engineers for the repair you also need to back up and erase your contents. Just as you will see below, you will need a PIN and Apple ID Password to achieve this operation or else it will take more time to get the device working again.
How hard reset an iPhone may not be the same on different phones. For instance, iPhone XS which doesn’t have a button, you will need to press and release the volume up button, you re to do the same for the volume down, and after hold the side button (sleep/wake) until the Apple logo displays on the screen.
If you are looking for your iPhone read; How to Locate Your Missing iPhone
Before you proceed to Factory reset your iPhone or iPad, there are three major things to put in place; Make sure that the iPhone you want to reset is charged or is connected to a power source, second is that you must know your password and lastly, back up your content either to iCloud or iTunes. Don’t forget to remove your SIM card. After all these you are good to go into learning how to hard reset your iPhone.
How To Hard Reset your iPhone or iPad
Backing Up the Phone Contents
- Connect your iPhone to a computer, you’ll see a message that reads, “A full back up of your iPhone will be stored on this Computer” will appear.
- Select “This Computer” to save the backed up files in your computer drive.
- Click on “Back Up Now” and wait until the process is completed.
Restarting Your iPhone
There are instances that will not need a factory reset but to restart the iPhone, like when the device is not responding fine. What you ll do here is to;
- Hold down the power button until the “slide to power off” appears on the screen. Drag the slider to the right of the screen.
- For iPhone X, press volume up, then volume down, then hold the power button until the device turns off. Once you get this done you can proceed to reset the iPhone.
How to Factory Reset an iPhone
- Go to Settings on the iPhone you want to reset and tap on your Apple ID. Log in if you re not logged in already.
2. Tap on General and navigate down until you see Reset.
3. Tap “Erase all the contents” if you want to delete all.
4. Enter your password, If you fail to do this your device can’t be erased.
5. Tap “Erase iPhone” from there the phone will go back to its default settings, follow the onscreen prompts to set and back up your files.
How To Hard Reset an iPhone Using iTunes
- Back your data if you haven’t done that already so that you can easily restore them after the factory settings.
- Locate and click on your iPhone on the iTunes
To reset the iPhone tap on “Restore iPhone” Make sure that the device is on recovery mode.
The hard reset process can consume up to 10 minutes depending size of the data in the iPhone, Once the process is completed you’ll see the welcome screen requesting you to swipe to continue.
Although the steps for resetting an iPhone may vary the instructions explained on this page work virtually on all iOS devices.