Signal is one of the popular apps that allow users to send text messages and make Voice and Video Calls to friends and family for free, regardless of their location. In general, Signal requires that you verify your account by using a phone number. However, it is possible to use Signal without phone number, in case you want to do so for your own reasons.
Ways to Use Signal Without Phone Number
In this article, I will show you the different ways to use Signal without a phone number. You can take a look at all the methods and use the one that is most convenient for you.
Before moving to the actual steps to use Signal without phone number, make sure that you go through the following prerequisites for using Signal without phone number.
- Download Signal App to your phone or Tablet in case you haven’t already done so.
- Make sure that you have not verified your Signal account yet. In case you have already verified Signal, then delete your current number from Signal by uninstalling the app and reinstalling it back.
Once the Signal App is downloaded and Installed on your Phone, the only remaining step is to verify your Signal account using any of the following methods.
Use Textfree to Verify Signal Without Phone Number
Another App that you can make use of to get a free phone number is called “Textfree” and this App is available for free download on Google Play Store and also on the App Store.
1. Download Textfree App. Android device users can download Textfree from the Google Play Store, while iOS device users can download this free App from the App Store.
2. Set up Textfree App. After you have finished downloading the Textfree app, open the app and follow the steps below in order to complete the setup procedure for the App.
3. As soon as the Textfree App opens, tap on the Sign Up button
Sign Up for a Textfree Account
1. On the next screen either tap on Allow Location Permission or tap and enter Zip Code Instead option and enter a Zip code on the next screen.
2. Enter Location Into Textfree App
Note: In case you are located outside North America, you can enter any North American Postal code to proceed further with the setup procedure.
3. On the next screen, enter an area code (in case it is not already there) and choose any Phone Number from the list.
4. Choose Number in Textfree App
5. Once you have chosen a phone number, tap on the Select this Number button
6. On the next screen, enter your email address, enter a password, and tap on the Create Account button in order to finish setting up your Textfree Account.
7. Now, you have successfully completed the setup procedure for Textfree and received a free Phone Number that you can use to verify your Signal Account.
8. Note Down your Textfree Number
In case you didn’t note down your Textfree number, then you can do so by opening up the Textfree app and then noting down your Textfree Phone Number. It will be located near the top of your screen.
Verifying Signal Account Using Textfree Phone Number
The next step is to make use of the TextFree number to verify Signal Account by following the steps below.
- Open the Signal App on your device.
- Next, Choose your country and then enter the Textfree number that you had noted down in step 3 above
- Enter the number Into Signal. Now, wait for about 1 minute for verification by text message to fail. After 1 minute Signal will automatically call your Textfree number that you had provided.
- After 1 minute, open the Textfree app and answer the call that you will be getting from Textfree.
- An automated message repeating your Signal verification code will play over and over again. Note down your verification code.
- Next, open the Signal app and enter the verification code that you had received from Signal via Textfree
- Enter Verification Code Into Signal
- Follow the next set of on-screen instructions to complete the setup process for Signal.
After this, you will be able to make free Voice and Video Calls to any of your Friends and Family members using Signal.
Verifying Signal Account Using Landline Phone Number
Another method to Use Signal without a phone number is to make use of your Landline Phone Number to verify your Signal Account.
1. Open the Signal app on your iPhone or Android Phone. Next, choose your country, enter your landline number and then tap on the Next button
2. Enter Number Into Signal
3. Once you tap on next, Signal will try to send a text message to your Landline Number. Since your Landline cannot receive text messages, the verification method will fail, making Signal call your Landline Phone Number
4. After a minute, Signal will call your Landline phone number. When you answer the call, you will hear an automated message from Signal providing your verification code. Note down the verification code using a pen and paper.
5. Now, open the Signal app (in case it is not already open) and enter the verification code that you had received from Signal on your Landline Number.
6. Enter Verification Code Into Signal
7. Next, follow the next set of on-screen instructions to complete the setup process for your Signal account.
Using TextNow to Verify Signal Without Phone Number
Since a phone number is required to verify your Signal account, you can make use of a free App called TextNow to get a free phone number. Once you get a free phone number using Text Now, you can make use of this number to verify your Signal Account.
1. Download TextNow onto your device. Android device users can download TextNow from Google Play Store, while iOS device users can download this free App from the App Store.
2. Open TextNow app and Create Free Phone Number
3. After the TextNow App is downloaded on your device, open TextNow and follow the on-screen instructions to create a free phone number in the TextNow app.
4. Open TextNow and Note Down your number. Once you have created your free TextNow Phone number, open the App and tap on the 3-line icon from the top left corner of your screen.
From the slide-over menu that appears, note down your TextNow number
Verifying Signal Account Using Free TextNow Number
After getting your free phone number using TextNow, follow the steps below to verify your Signal account using your free TextNow Phone Number.
- Open the Signal app on your iPhone or Android phone.
- Next, choose your Country, enter your free TextNow phone number and then tap on the Next button to continue with the verification process.
- Enter Number to Verify Signal. You should now see a notification from TextNow on your phone, showing your Signal verification code.
In case you do not get a notification from TextNow, open the TextNow app and you should be able to see a message from Signal providing your verification code.
Remember that if there is no message from Signal, then wait for around a minute for Signal to Call your TextNow Number and provide you with the Verification Code.
- Now, open the Signal app (in case it is not already open) and enter the Verification code that you received via TextNow
- Enter Signal Verification Code
- Next, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process for Signal on your device.
Once your Signal account is verified, you are all set to make free voice and video calls to your friends and family.
I hope you were able to use one of the three methods above to use Signal without a phone number on your device.